Thursday, October 7, 2010

Homemade Books: An easy way to build a home library

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

I love books! I love to read them, write them, and...I really enjoy making handmade/homemade books. Using paper bags, cardboard, scrap fabric, felt, or many other types of recycled materials, I like to make a book that, while not library binding quality *smile*, are done with care and thoughtfulness.


This is one thing that children in my classes enjoy doing as well. Given the right materials and encouragement, children can design beautiful handmade books that can be read again and again insha'Allaah. This is also a great way to build your child's home library insha'Allaah. By the end of a school year, children can have an entire collection of books that parents can feel safe letting their children read because the contents are completely up to you: the parent or teacher. This is an easy way to design beautiful, personal books that teach your children Islamic concepts.

Do you make handmade books?

Here are a few blogs to help you get started if you don't or would like to start, or would like to add to your current collection insha'Allaah:


Making Shape Books (I just googled and found this!)

Let's Book It (Just found this one too...some unislamic things so please skip those)

6 comments:

  1. As SAlaamu Alaykum, Na'am sis I love making handmade books for my children. I would love to make more,but time limits me to such a thing *smile*
    I made the prayer rug touchy feely book you posted for my lil 17 month old, I gave it to him around 10 months and amazingly it's still holding together,barely but it is! He loves that book,masha Allah. He is so cute carrying that book all around with him,almost like a security blankie. Insha Allah, I can find more time to do more. Great way to save money as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waalaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

    Aww, masha'Allaah! That is so cute! Yes, making books is a great money saver. Childrens books can easy cost ten dollars or more.

    For time: in the classroom, the children make their books. All that is needed is to have the materials set out for them and then a brief explanation. I've even had students from higher grades come in and help the children (they love that! *smile*) Perhaps, this may help making the books easier on your time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant easily...typo...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalamu 'alaykum:

    MashaAllah sis Umm An-Nu'man I love this post!

    Children feel a wonderful sense of ownership and are much more inclined to reading their 'own' book and sharing them with their friends (and vice versa); a great way to promote reading and writing.

    JazakiAllahu Kairan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waalaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

    Wa iyaki wa Jazakillahu khayr dear sis! Yes, absolutely, handmade books are a great way to promote reading and writing. Jazakillahu Khayr for mentioning this! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bismillaah

    As Salaamu Alaikum

    Mashaa'Allaah such drive- *sighs in awe* I love this post and thank you for providing the links and advising us all at the same time. Baraka'Allaah'Feekum

    ReplyDelete