Friday, July 9, 2010

Storytime: Lemons Are Not Red

Assalamu alaikum,


Today we read Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger



This is a book that is an excellent tool to use to teach the colours. I'm trying to think of how to adequately describe how the book is designed. Let's try this: the child is presented with a page that has a cut out of a shape, animal, or other object. The background (which is the next page of the book) is the wrong colour for the object cut out being shown. For example, the first page says, "Lemons are not red" and then you turn the page and it tells the child that something else is red and it shows the picture of what is red.

The illustrations are beautifully done so this helps keep the child interested in the story and the short text supports independent reading for children in Kindergarten and grade 1 insha'Allah. This story can be read to newborns as well as toddlers, kindergarteners and grade 1 students. The copy I have now is from the library but I will be hoping over to Amazon.com to get a copy of my own insha'Allah. I think over the weekend insha'Allah, I'll put together an activity to go along with this book and I'll post that on A Musilm Child is Born biithnillah.

No comments:

Post a Comment