Sunday, June 27, 2010

Storytime: At the Edge of the Woods

Assalamu alaikum,

Today we read, At the Edge of the Woods by Cynthia Cotten


This, I thought, is a cut rhyming book but so far each time I try to read it, the book is closed and it is very clear that there is no interest in hearing it. Subhana'Allah, suprising to me since the story is nice and it flows so well but alhamdulillah, each child has different tastes.  Well, I enjoy the story but for toddlers I don't think that counts as much as them enjoying the story...lol.

2 comments:

  1. Assalmu 'alaykum

    Even with cute rhymes sometimes, young children may not be interested in some books. Could it be the picture of the fox so outstanding on the cover of the book that put them off?

    I know from experience with reading with my child, that there are some books that just do not take his fancy. But moreso, the visual impact of the book sometimes creates a negative first impression that may keep the child from wanting to see/read the book. Try puttting it away for a bit and then take out again and see what is the reaction, inshaAllah. Let us know how it goes second time around :)

    Wasalaams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waalaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

    Yes, sometimes I feel that this is what occurs and waallahu alim. Usually, I do put the book away and try again later but...hehe...sometimes the book just doesn't make it. I think you are right, the illustrations can make or break a good story. Now that I am thinking, I remember the book, Elusive Moose, had similar illustrations and was never taken to even though the story was very cute.

    Jazakillahu Khayr dear sis

    ReplyDelete